Search the GWVRP

Gulf War Locator

Tracings in The Sand: First hand testimonials

Self Help Guide Published by the National Gulf War Resource Center, Inc.

Referral Network

Gulf War Related Mailing Lists>

img_gasmask

What's New | Documents | News Feeds | Links | Photos | FAQ | Contact Us
Return To Welcome Page

Gulf War Veteran Resource Pages

ISIS warns U.S. and its allies that they’re starting ‘Gulf War III’ in new video featuring British h

Author: Bloomberg News
Publication: National Post
Document Dated: September 23, 2014
Date Posted: September 29, 2014


The Islamic State posted a new video of British hostage John Cantlie within hours of airstrikes on Syria Tuesday, warning the U.S. and its allies that they were embarking on “Gulf War III.”

“Not since Vietnam have we witnessed such a potential mess in the making,” the captured photographer says in the video.

Cantlie delivers the apparently scripted message from behind a table, wearing the same orange jumpsuit that his fellow prisoners, journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, were seen wearing in footage of their executions.

It is unclear when the video was made. But it shares the hallmarks of the video, titled “Lend Me Your Ears,” that was released last week. In that video — what Cantlie promised to be the first in a series of propaganda videos — he said: “You’re thinking: ‘He’s only doing this because he’s a prisoner. He’s got a gun at his head and he’s being forced to do this.’ Right? Well, it’s true. I am a prisoner, that I cannot deny.”

Cantlie introduced himself as in Tuesday’s video as “the British citizen abandoned by my government.” He accused the White House being “perplexed” by ISIS and “tap-dancing around the issue.”

The U.S. and Arab allies launched airstrikes in Syria targeting Islamic State and an Al-Qaeda-linked group in what U.S. President Barack Obama called a “powerful message to the world” that America will do whatever is necessary to eliminate terrorist havens.

Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Bahrain joined the U.S. operation, Obama said this morning at the White House.

The Pentagon said fighter jets, bomber aircraft and Tomahawk missiles were used to hit 14 Islamic State targets near their stronghold of Raqqa and along the Iraqi border.

“The strength of this coalition makes it clear to the world that this is not America’s fight alone,” Obama said before leaving Washington for the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York. “We’re going to do what’s necessary to take the fight to this terrorist group, for the security of the country and the region and for the entire world.”

Obama has vowed to defeat of Islamic State, which has seized a swath of territory across Iraq and Syria. That has prompted alarm among neighboring nations, including the Sunni Arab monarchies taking part in the operation. The Pentagon had previously limited its airstrikes to targets in Iraq.

Russia condemned the U.S.-led airstrikes, saying they violated Syria’s sovereignty and would “aggravate the situation even further” in an e-mailed statement. “Moscow has repeatedly warned that those who initiated one-sided military scenarios bear full international legal responsibility for the consequences.”



Comments


The mission of the GWVRP is to disseminate health related information to veterans of the Persian Gulf War in an unbiased format. The site is operated completely by volunteers and is not affiliated with any government entities or programs. ©1994-2017, Shaw Avenue Consulting.